Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

numbness..face..hysterectomy..which required a blood transfusion

Customer Question

For the past year I have been having pain and numbness in my left side including my face. This has all been since i had a hysterectomy last march. i had internal bleeding which required a blood transfusion. i also went into brachycardia. a wk after i was discharged i developed a blood clot size of a fist. were unable to treat. since then i have had pain in my left leg worsened in the past few months. also suffer from severe back pain. numbness and tingling in my left side and chest pain. is this related?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Has anyone ever done a MRI of your spine, to see where the severe back pain and numbness and tingling might be coming from?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Mark's Post: yes they found deteriorating discs in my lower back and arthitis in upper back. plus disc problems with my neck.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Were you then referred to a orthopedic spine surgeon or a neurosurgeon for further evaluation?

The severe back apin with the pain in the left leg and numbness/tingling could be explained by degenerative changes in the back, both in the lower back and the neck, though the specialists mentioned above are the ones that determine if there is any possible treatment options for you.

In terms of the chest pain and numbness in the face - these symptoms are likely unrelated to your others, and hopefully, though the investigations by your previous doctors they made sure to rule out all the possible serious causes of these (e.g. stroke, heart attacks, etc, but you are too young for these to really be a high concern on the list).

Nevertheless, at least in terms of the pains, you should see one of the specialists above.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Mark's Post: i was never referred. my doctor sent me home with pain meds which i don't take. they do not help. would these spine issues affect weakness i am feeling in my leg? i have fallen several times. i really do not want to have surgery what would other options be?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Yes, something in the lower back or lumbar spine, if "pinching" a nerve can cause pain and weakness - but again, this all depends on your physical examination and the actual pictures of the MRI that must be reviewed by the specialist.

Most cases that are reviewed are not surgical cases, but some are, and those are the ones that could benefit from surgical decompression to help get you feeling better sooner.