Dr. M. Lahkar
Dr. M. Lahkar, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD in Radiodiagnosis
5326904

my wife, age 62, has a continuing itch on her ...

my wife, age 62, has a continuing itch on her arms, hands, & back. Several doctors have beeb unable to offer her any relief; the best thing recommrnded is for her to rub these areas with "ice." This is even worse at night ans she has to sit up most of the night rubbing her skin wih "ice" to gain some relief. All commercial treatments recommended have had no affect. Please can someone help her; her mother and sister were known to have this problem to a lesser degree.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. M. Lahkar replied 8 years ago.
Hi, itching can be due to various causes like hives, contact / irritant dermatitis, pityriasis, folliculitis or impetigo etc.

But as she is not responding to many treatments, you should also look for systemic causes for itching like blood disorders, liver / kidney disease etc.

She shaould bathe in cold or only luikewarm water without using too much soap.

Try taking antihistamines like loratidine or cetirizine orally. Corticosteroid ointments are also recommended, but for short term only.

Look up this site for home remedies.

I hope my answer is helpful to you. For accepting the answer, please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button.
I would be highly obliged for a POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUS from you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Sandra's Post: The   itching starts out as a pin prick and to stop it she scratches and then all she can do is to scratch or use ice.
Hi, I would like to tell you that irching due to any cause is aggravated by scratching. It is a viscious cycle, the more she scratches, the more she will have the itching. as I have already said, itching is a symptom of many conditons.

Try using the medicines and if she doesnot recover, try consulting an internal medicine specialist for other serious systemic causes.

Psoriasis is skin disorder which can also cause itching. Look up here.