Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

atropine nebs

While I was out on medical leave one of my RTs got a doctor to order atropine nebs as a drying agent for a client who has copious secretions. He has no pulmonary history other than a paralyzed left hemi-diaphragm. Secretions are white/clear fairly thin,CXR essentially clear, afebrile, very strong cough effort.
The solution is an injectible at 4mg/ml. The recommended dose was 1ml in 5mls normal saline BID. I can''t find any info on this drug as a nebulized medicine.
Is there another drying agent that we could use in the nebs?
He is on robinol as well.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
This medication can be given as a nebulized aerosol medication, and is occasionally given for reduction of secretions (as well as opening the airways as a bronchodilator).

Another related medication, which you've probably heard of is Atrovent, or ipratropium, (which is related to atropine, as both of them are "anticholinergic" medications - Atrovent is just weaker in potency) but will also help to decrease secretions.

Other medications taken orally, such as scopolamine and glycopyrrolate also work to decrease secretions.