Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

spinal fusion surgery 11-01-06 with laminectomy L3-sacrum..hip..groin

I had spinal fusion surgery 11-01-06 with laminectomy L3-sacrum. Immediately following, in the recovery room, I experienced severe lt. hip pain to lt groin to present time. Originally I was told I had bursitis of the hip. A MRI showed a torn gluteal medius muscle. I''ve had cortisone shot in that hip four times and a epidural steroid injection L3 with little result. I have not been able to lie on my lset side since surgery and am in continuous pain. Any advice would be appreciated
Have you had a repeat MRI of a repeat CT myelogram to look at the nerves in the back?

The pain you are describing, from the left hip pain going to the left groin could be an irritation of the L2 nerve root, which is above the level of your surgery.

It could also be your hip as well, though if the steroid injections in the hip haven't helped, then this probably isn't the cause.

If you haven't already, I would suggest that MRI to look specifically at the L1-2 disc space, as well as the L2-3 disc space (both above your surgery site) since irritation of the nerves in these areas can cause the pain you are describing.