DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

I woke up this morning, and felt like my upper right lip ...

I woke up this morning, and felt like my upper right lip had novacane in it as in the dentist office. My lip began to swell up--It does not hurt, nor is there any bruising on the lip or on my gum. I was hit a couple of weeks ago in the mouth, by mistake by my dog. It swell slightly, but then went away. It has now started to swell on the top left part of the lip, but does not hurt on that either. I do take high blood pressure medicine, but have never had a problem with it for many years. I am allergic to penecillin, and codiene, but have not had any of this for years. My botXXXXX XXXXXp has not been affected, and my gums do not hurt at all. Any help? I would appreciate it. and thank you--Janice
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 8 years ago.

Welcome to just answer,

Such sudden appearance of swelling which is increasing can be either due to some insect bite , allergy or infection.

Allergic reaction can make the lips swell. The reaction may be caused by sensitivity to certain foods or beverages, drugs, lipstick, or airborne irritants.

You need to visit you doctor for a detailed examination and proper medication. If it is infection you will need antibiotics.

Meanwhile if there is pain please take tablet acetaminophen, it will reduce pain and inflammation also.

You can also use ice packs it will also help.