Dr. Pfeiffer
Dr. Pfeiffer, Doctor
Experience:  Ob/Gyn
8534737

I have lower abdominal pain - should I get checked out

I am nearly 41 years old and think I am peri-menopausal (I get occasional hot flushes, shorter/lighter periods). I also have vaginal dryness which is most noticeable during intercourse which makes it uncomfortable. 4 days ago intercourse was very painful and we had to stop as I was so sore. I have had period-like pain ever since. Will it get better on its own? The discharge I do get is normal (ie clear/not smelling of anything at all). Many thanks.

Hi elizabeth,

if your symptoms are related to peri-menopause they will not completely go away on their own (at least in part). I would expect your cramping to go away on its own - if it continues you should at least take a pregnancy test to make sure it isn't something serious like a tubal pregnancy (although unlikely). If it seems to get worse an ovarian torsion would need to be excluded.

If the pain and dryness is related to perimenopause you may see good days and bad days as your hormones fluctuate. This will not go away on its own, but can be easily treated by vaginal estrogen - you would need to see your doctor for this so he can make sure you are perimenopausal. This would be important because you are quite young to be perimenopausal, and it is a myth that only menopausal women have hot flashes - all women of all ages can have hot flashes.

lastly, try a lubricant and increase stimulation before intercourse - these things might help.

Dr. Pfeiffer

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help.

you're welcome

Dr. Pfeiffer