Joseph Gelis
Joseph Gelis, Nurse
Experience:  LSU Graduate 1992 w/ Bacc. Science in Nursing, 15+ years bedside nursing, mostly in critical care.

I have had severe dry nose syndrom for over a month ...

Customer Question

I have had severe dry nose syndrom for over a month now. It is so bad that it is at the tip of my nostril and can be seen by others. When I try to chip away at the dryness, it starts to bleed and creates scabs that looks horrible. What can I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Joseph Gelis replied 5 years ago.

Have you talked to your doctor about why your nose is dry and sore? There may be an underlying cause that needs to be addressed.

Is this a recurrent thing, has it happened before this episode?

What else have you tried?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I haven't talked to my doctor about this yet. This has happened on a few occasions before but not this bad and normally just goes away.

The only thing I have tried is a saline solution (Ayr) which is over-the-counter. However, because of the slight bleeding that the sores cause, it burns too much to use it all the time as instructed on the tube.
The main goal is to provide a continuous moist environment for the mucus membranes in your nose. Saline is good but it doesn't last. Simple vaseline gel applied 2 to 3 times a day can help in locking in the moisture these membranes need. Give it a couple of weeks doing this and see if you get results. If you find that the problem is persistent, you may have a colonization problem with a pathogenic bacteria, in which case you may want to try applying Bactroban ointment in order to add antibiotic support. Best of luck.
Joseph Gelis, Nurse
Experience: LSU Graduate 1992 w/ Bacc. Science in Nursing, 15+ years bedside nursing, mostly in critical care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks!
Thank you for allowing me to be of assist.