How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask drkevinmd Your Own Question
drkevinmd, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 238
Experience:  Board Certified Family Practice Physician by the American Board of Family Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
drkevinmd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For years now I have had problems with what apear to be ...

Customer Question

For years now I have had problems with what apear to be pressure sores at the base of my spine. I am a fit 55 year old male not over weight or handycaped in any way. It seems that when I eat things like too many nuts or Cheese that it gets worse. I use to think that maybe it was caused by the elastic in the underwear so I stopped wearin them but that wasn't the cause. I also from time to time get welted type pimples at the top of my my spine in my hair at the top of my neck. Any suggestions, that will help stop the reocurance?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  drkevinmd replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Do you have any other medical problems? Do you use any hot tubs, saunas, or swimming pools prior to these skin flare ups?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to drkevinmd's Post: No hot tubs or saunas. It ussualy starts if I am sitting too long and once it starts it just seems to get worse. I know they say not to use rubbing alchol but it is the only thing that seems to take the itch away. I have tried salt baths but no real smoking gun.
Expert:  drkevinmd replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the added information. This problem is fairly common and tends to occur in areas that stay moist and warm. It is more common in individuals with certain skin types.
You might try using more powders such as the prescription powder nystatin. Once this flare up has subsided using a prescription strength anti perspirant , such as Drysol, in this area to contol moisture may help.
If these measure don't help then consulting a dermatologist would be a good idea.
drkevinmd and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to drkevinmd's Post: what is this nystatin powder composed of? You say certain skin types being more likely to get these pressure sores why is that and how do you tell the difference in these types?
Expert:  drkevinmd replied 8 years ago.
Nystatin powder contains the chemical nystatin which is used to treat overgrowths of yeast. It comes in a powder, lotion, and cream form but powders are sometimes tried in areas that tend to stay excessively moist.
Skin types that tend to be excessively oily with overactive sweat and oil producing glands tend to have problem with recurrent skin problems in these areas. They are usually diagnosed by a physical exam and the patients history.
Some dermatologists recommend a vitamin C supplement for recurrent skin issues in these areas but there is not a lot of evidence that this helps.
I also forgot to mention that if you have a picture or the skin problem you are more than welcome to upload it to this message and i would be happy to take a look. If you don't know how to upload a picture you can ask customer service to assist you with this process.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for your time
Expert:  drkevinmd replied 8 years ago.
You are welcome. Hope you feel better soon.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Well its been a while and you did say I could contact you. My problem still persists but I think I might be onto something. I have been reading about Angioedma and I think maybe thats what I have. I had a bad case a few days back then after reading about it I tried antehistimens and it apears that it started to heal later that day. What is your opinion do you think that could be it? should I take them daily or is there another cure? Thanks Ken