MY_doc
MY_doc, Doctor
Experience:  6 years, research and clinical
11317695

Dear doctor, how do I know there is mucus in babys stool

Dear doctor, how do I know there is mucus in baby''s stool? What does mucus look like? I noticed some sticky stuff but am not sure they are mucus or not.
Category: Health
Expert:  MY_doc replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Mucus in the baby's stool is usually a thick fluid like secretion. It is common in babies that are breast fed.

I hope this was helpful.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MY_doc's Post: Thanks for the answer. Does mucus have any color? If I see mucus in baby's stool, does it indicate a problem?
Expert:  MY_doc replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Mucus in the stool is normal if there's a small amount of it. Large amounts could mean a sign of an allergic reaction. If breast-feeding, try to avoid dairy products from your diet as well as no nuts and shellfish. If you use formula try switching to soy. If that doesn't work you'll have to use hypoallergenic formula.

I recommend addressing your concerns with your pediatrician and asking them about what foods to avoid or which formula to use.