Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  30 + years practicing family medicine. Board Certified in Family Practice

My son was told by his psychiatrist to go off his

My son was told by his psychiatrist to go off his Wellbutrin XL 300 mg, that he has been taking for the last 5 years, but hasn''t been working for quite some time. The doctor said just to go off the wellbutrin and start on celexa. I thought you had to slowly go off an anti-depressant. Does it make a difference if you are starting a new one at the same time? I sure don''t want to question his doctor without having correct information. I called some pharmacists, but they were rather vague and seemed unsure of an answer.

Wellbutrin and Celexa are different antidepressant drugs that have been prescribed together. The Wellbutrin will slowly disipate from your son's system while the Celexa starts to accumulate and begin its action as a SSRI. The problem with stopping any antidepressant abruptly is that the symptoms the patient has may become much worse over a short period of time. This should not be the case with your son since he is being maintained on an antidepressant. I hope this ids helpful.

Dr. Stan