Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I have what I think is upper left abdominol pain

It started out severe like a 10 on a pain scale. It went around to my back and hurt even more when I took a deep breath. Now a couple hours later it still hurts pretty bad but I''m not on the verge of tears anymore. I''ve had this pain once before about 2 weeks ago and I would describe it like having a brused rib, however the pain was not as severe as this time. Wondering what I should do. Wait it out to see if it goes away, see a doctor or if it is something that may be an emergency?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Do you have nausea, bloating, distension? Do you have history of stone passing or family history of stones or heart disease? Are you diabetic? Are you on any medications? Is there any tenderness (pain on the area when you press)?

Do you smoke? Take alcohol?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I do not have nausea, not history of stone passing or heart disease that I know of. I do not believe I am diabetic although my father was, I just have not been tested for it. I'm not on any medications right now. I'm not feeling any additional discomfort by pressing on it. I do smoke and drink, but I don't drink on a regular basis like every day. This is only the 2nd time I've had this pain and last time it went away after a few hours. Today it started around 7:30am.

HelloCustomer

Following would be considered for the cause of this pain;

1) Renal colic (kidney stone): they are one of the severest of pain

2) Diverticulitis

3) Related to lung, pleura (covering around lung) or heart or blood vessel

4) Pancreatitis

I have enumerated them in the sequence of incidence with your clinical presentation. As a matter of fact, any pain which is classified as severe (above 6 or 7 on the scale of 0-10), should be evaluated by a physician and investigations and imaging studies done to ascertain the exact cause. So it would be prudent to consult your physician for a clinical examination and get further investigations like chest x-ray, ultrasonography and blood work up, if needed.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun