MY_doc, Doctor
Experience:  6 years, research and clinical

I am 53 years old and it has been about 2 years since I ...

I am 53 years old and it has been about 2 years since I have been having abnormal pepsmears from mild to severe. It came back normal only once. I have had a leep and conization procedure during this time. At present my pep indicates mild in one part of the cervix and severe on another part of the cervix. I had a cancer test about 3 months ago and it was negative. HPV is present. My last period was about 3 months ago with no other complications. Do I need a hysterectomy at this time or should I have a cryatherpy procedure and continue monitoring the pepsmears on regular basis?

Depending on the type of HPV, there is a high probability of developing a cancer. Your doctor will be able to give you a better assessment. Based on the procedures you have had and the abnormal pap smears...seems like you are showing signs of dysplasia, a technical term meaning that the cells in your cervix are changing and could be precancerous or cancerous.

I recommend speaking with your OB/GYN on the best course of action at this time. Only your physician can determine whether a hysterectomy is needed or if cryotherapy and routine pap screening is the best course of action. Also feel free to discuss your concerns as well as the advantages and disadvantages of each option.

I hope this was helpful.