MasterDoc, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Physician for 20 years

Is it normal for eyes to reflect green in a photo (rather ...

Is it normal for eyes to reflect green in a photo (rather than getting normal red-eye)? Both my daughter''s eyes do this in photos where any other person gets red-eye, and at the risk of sounding really stupid, on a TV programme last night (fictional drama), a photo was shown with one green-reflecting eye on a child and this was apparently a sign of something being badly wrong...I just want to make sure rather than ignore it.
Category: Health
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 8 years ago.

There are certain diseases that might manifest with a colored rim in the eye. However if is far more likely that this is a meaningless artifact.

For your own piece of mind I would recommend a visit to an pediatric opthamologist. He or she can examine her eye thoroughly and put your concerns totally to rest.

Please click ACCEPT. Feel free to ask a follow-up question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to MasterDoc's Post: Just to be sure - I mean the whole pupil is an iridescent green. Kind of like the way an animal's eyes would reflect. It's not a rim and nothing is visible in daylight - only on flash photography.
Expert:  MasterDoc replied 8 years ago.

This makes it even more likely in my mind that this is an artifact.

But as I said the only way to know for sure is to see the appropriate MD for an actual exam, not a guess over the internet.

3 is definitely old enough to get a good eye exam.

Please click ACCEPT.