DrNowicki, Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.)
Experience:  >7yrsPrivate practice, gen'l family practice;focus on treating the cause of symptoms w/natural meds

I have suffered with migraine headaches for 26 years. In ...

I have suffered with migraine headaches for 26 years. In the last 5 months they have increased in fequency to at least 3 per week to 10 days. I have been seeing 3 different doctors to try and get my condition under control including a specialist. Im very frustrated because every visit they just give me more pills that are supposed to prevent my headaches instead of giving me anything for the actual pain. My migraines can last anywhere from 12 hours to 3-4 days with light, motion, and scent sensetivity. I am unable to work because of the frequency and my home and family life are suffering badly. Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Health
Expert:  DrNowicki replied 8 years ago.

Hi there.

I would suggest the following: These suggestions can be difficult but they are doable. It takes a little bit of time and energy but may help significantly. Ready?

1) Avoid all artificial ingredients. This includes artificial colors (yellow #5 - tartrazine, red, blue, etc), artificial sweeteners (splenda - sucralose, saccharin, aspartame - nutrasweet, acesulfame K), flavor enhancers (MSG), and artificial preservatives (sulfites, nitrites, BHT). This requires reading the labels and asking alot of questions when buying food. If you stick to whole foods - fruits, vegetables, meats (not processed), and whole grains, this is much easier to accomplish.

2) Water - drink at least 5 cups of water per day.

3) Magnesium (citrate or malate form) - in about 50% of headache sufferers, magnesium alone helps. Oral magnesium in dosages of about 300-500 milligrams has been helpful for my patients. You must discuss this with your doctor before starting as not all natural medicines are safe for everyone.

4) Food sensitivity testing. I have found much success in my practice after running a specific type of food allergy testing. Often people are experiencing food sensitivities and do not realize it. Although you have made dietary changes you may still be eating foods that cause you a problem. You can find more information about this type of testing here: I highly encourage you to visit this website and talk about this testing with your doctor. I used to get migraines and do not any longer after removing the foods that I was sensitive too. I run this test often on my patients with migraines and in about 80% they have complete relief. I am not promising that this is the answer for you, but I believe it is worth investigating.

It is important to discuss testing as well as treatment options with your doctor. Natural medicines are still medicine and need to be discussed with your doctor before beginning. If the headaches worsen, if you develop vision changes, confusion, numbness, or any unusual symptoms, see your doctor for further evaluation.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Please check ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for my work. Remember, this does not cost you any more money than you already paid. Rather, the money gets split between me (the doctor) and Just Answer rather than 100% going to the website.

Although you already paid the site, I do not receive payment unless you check ACCEPT. I appreciate your time. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Positive FEEDBACK and BONUSES are appreciated.