Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

in the morning when i wake up ankles are stiff and heavy, ...

in the morning when i wake up ankles are stiff and heavy, but no pain. as soon as i stand up and walk i feel strong pain in both feet, especially the center of the soles. no swelling. pain retreats after 10 minutes of general activity, but if i sit down again for a while, the pain will return when i stand.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 8 years ago.

How long are you having the problem? Do you have any arthritis of other joints? Do you have any past illness and are you on any medication?

Dr. SS
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i just had my third baby 7 months ago.
I am not on any medication.
the only problems i have had where appendicitis, and kidney stones when younger.
starting to feel pain in toe joints.
i do also feel tight in my upper back and shoulders, likely due to caring for a very big baby full time.
have not been exercising regularly. probably deficient in certain minerals and vitamins because i was not taking maternity vitamins while pregnant. currently still breast-feeding.
this problem has developed over the past 4-8 weeks more or less.
i did also have, what i believe to be a common problem after giving birth - my fingers, then hands were numb, and it became difficult to grip. that problem went away several months ago, and there have been no reoccurrences. just thought i would let you know that in case it points to something in relation to the pregnancy.

thank you
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the additional input.

The morning stiffness after rest mostly ocurs due to arthritis or planter fascitis.

As it is persisting for about 2 months you should see the doctor to get the correct diagnosis.

Blood test and X-ray will be needed to reach a colclusion of the diagnosis.

Some measures sometimes help to reduce the pain.

Keep the legs elevated while sleeping.

Stretching exercise is beneficial to get rid of symptoms.

Antiinflammatory drug like Motrin can reduce inflammation.

Hope your early recovery.

Dr. SS