Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

pills for 2 weeks and the last couple days my stool has been watery

Customer Question

I was wondering what i should do i have had diarrea real bad i havent taken the pills for 2 weeks and the last couple days my stool has been watery and a bloodyish color to it and i was just wondering what you think i should do about my problem to solve it
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Su S replied 8 years ago.
Greetings.

The continued diarrhea is probably due to pseudomembranous colitis which is a common side effect of Clindamycin as you are aware of it.
With th use of clindamycin normal bacterial flora of the colon are destroyed and toxic C. difficile begins to grow. Toxin released by the bacteria produces the symptoms.
Usually diarrhea stops within few days of the stoppage of medicine.
As it is continued along with bloody stool, it need urgent medical attention.
You may need stool examination, colonoscopy and or CT scan to confirm the diagnosis.
Doctor may give you prescription of other antibiotic like metronidazole, vancomycin or others to control it.
I suggest you to contact doctor as early as possible to prevent the serious complication.

Hope you will recover soon.

Regards.

Dr. SS