Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

My hands and fingers are going numb on me several times a ...

My hands and fingers are going numb on me several times a day. What could be causing this?

The numbness you are having can have all kinds of different causes, as it is a symptom of many different diseases.

It usually arises from damage or disease of nerves.Its most common causes are:nerve compression syndromes, pressure on the spinal nerves such as that due to a herniated disk,high blood pressure, diabetes,carpal tunnel syndrome,multiple sclerosis,stroke,transient ischemic attack.Also this can be due to :underactive thyroid,abnormal levels of calcium, potassium, or sodium in your body,lack of vitamin B12,certain medications.

The underlying cause of numbness or tingling should be identified and then treated by your doctor.Tests like electromyography and nerve conduction studies,certain blood tests,electro physiological studies are required to make the exact diagnosis.I suggest you to make an appointment with a neurologist to know the exact cause & hence its treatment.

Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.