drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health

My abdomen swells signafincetly at night after dinner, by ...

Customer Question

My abdomen swells signafincetly at night after dinner, by morning the swelling is gone, however, I am nasuated until mid morning, then I feel perfectly normal. Until my abdomen sweels again that night.    this has been going on for approx 9 months. any thoughts?
Category: Health
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 8 years ago.
Hello Customer!
This definitely sounds like excess gas due to digestive problems with dinner. If you still have your gallbladder I would suggest an ultrasound to be sure there is no problem with that. Otherwise the over the counter supplements with natural bacteria like acidophilis can be very helpful with this. Also a trial of no dairy for 1 week may benefit you as well. Increase your fiber with dinner and breakfast and drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water/day. Constipation is a common cause of gas and an over the counter fiber supplement like benefiber works well without creating the excess gas some of the other ones do.
good luck
hope this helps
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I agree that excess gas may be causing the bloating, however, what would cause the AM nasua? And, what does the gallbladder have to do with the symptoms?
If the gallbladder is not functioning correctly you can experience excess gas since it secretes bile to help you digest fats. The AM nausea can be a result of the excess gas in the intestine, giving you a "full" feeling and feeding back to the brain to cause reflexive nausea. It can also cause some reflux of stomach acid which can do the same thing.
hope this helps