MY_doc
MY_doc, Doctor
Experience:  6 years, research and clinical
11317695

Im taking Paxil and my doctor gave me a new pill to

I''m taking Paxil and my doctor gave me a new pill to replace it, it''s called Pristiq. He said I could just stop taking paxil and take the new one instead. I also had a stroke about 3 or 4 years ago is there any danger. He had told me a while ago that I could stop the Paxil without weaning myself off it, I had a terrible time.

HiCustomer

Your concern is certainly valid...I recommend that you discuss your concerns with your physician again. Given the fact that you have already experienced adverse symptoms the last time you stopped abruptly.

Eventhough this time you are replacing Paxil with Pristiq, I would still suggest that you do not abruptly stop using Paxil and switching to Pristiq without reconfirmation from your physician. Typically patients are weaned off and the started on another medication.

I hope this was helpful.