drknowsbest, Doctor
Experience:  DO board certified family practitioner spec. in womens health

I have noticed my lower lip is swelling from the inside ...

Customer Question

I have noticed my lower lip is swelling from the inside out. When I squeeze it flat in my fingers it feels like there a few small pillows of tissue that are responsible..I have in this year been diagnosed with herpes-simplex 1 and am taking loestrin fe, birth control. Could either of these cause this as a side effect? I went to a dermatologist that claimed it was not linked to herpes, but had no other thoughts to offer.
Category: Health
Expert:  drknowsbest replied 8 years ago.
Hello Customer!
The birth control should not do this and if they are not tender its not likely related to a herpes outbreak. This can be benign cysts, they can form with repeated trauma, like if you bite your lip. I would see an oral surgeon who can diagnose it for sure and remove them if they are starting to bother you.
Hope this helps
Good luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
They were sore the first day then the discomfort went away, now my lip has been swollen for almost 2 months. But with no pain or tenderness. I do tend to bite my lips out of nervousness I guess. Any chance the swelling will just go down on its own if I stop biting?
It might. The cysts that form are almost protective from the trauma induced. If you consciously try to stop biting and they dont start to shrink in two weeks or so they proably have to be removed.
hope this helps
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to drknowsbest's Post: what would happen if they were not removed.....I don't have insurance.
They will usually remain the same size and are benign so they do not need to be removed. If they start to grow more without further trauma or become irregularly shaped or more tender then they should be looked at, otherwise you can try to wait if they don't drive you nuts feeling the swelling. :)