Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

hand..3 knuckles from the little finger to the middle finger..fingers

hi, i have just started diary farming and i have developed a skin irritation along the knuckles on my hand. As the weeks have passed it has gone from 3 knuckles from the little finger to the middle finger and now has gone to the other hand and my pointing fingers. now i am getting little cuts/openings on the original hand. could this be fungal or skin drying out for some reason or just a reaction to something? your advice would be appreciated

There is no way to tell without examination, and possible swabbing of the areas for culture, to determine if it is fungal or even bacterial. If your hands are in water alot or washed with strong soaps or chemicals, this can add to the problem. If you can journal what you do and touch, then you can narrow down the possibilities. You should make an appointment with your general practitioner or a dermatologist to have the problem investigated. In the meantime, use gloves when possible, keep hands moisturuzed with an emollient cream and keep them clean to prevent infection. Having open cuts makes you prone to infection and this can be dangerous. Have it checked by the doctor to be sure.