Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

My tongue is half really red and the other half is

Customer Question

My tongue is half really red and the other half is white? Could this be something serious? It has been like this about a month. I have been rinsing with hydrogen peroxide but not clearing up.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 6 years ago.

Any history of smoking and alcohol?

Any complaints of bad breath?

Any neck swelling like a lymph node?

Any problem in opening of mouth?

Any change of voice?

Any blood in the spit anytime?

Any chronic cough or intake of long time antibiotics?

Any intake of steroids ?

Any loss of appetite or weight loss?

Please let me know.

Regards,

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I do not have any of the symtoms listed above. I don't smoke or drink. I have not been losing weight or had bad breath. I have not noticed any swelling in the neck. I don't have trouble opening my mouth or have not had a consistant cough or any indication of blood. I haven't taken any steroids or antibiotics. I am in good health except for this problem with my tongue. It really doesn't hurt. It has a slight burning sensation.

Thanks for the information.

Well it is good sign that you don't have any of the symptoms.

All the risk factors for a possible cancer of the tongue is negative in your case.So it must a bacterial/fungal infection of the tongue papillae which causes debris to accumulate and give a white appearance.

It is usually a self limiting condition and can be caused due to excessive mouth breathing or dehydration.
Just continue regular brushing.Drink plenty of water and add fiber to your diet.Also if you have constipation and stomach upsets like reflux it can reflect in the tongue in the form of coating.
Continue the peroxide gargles.You can also use Listerine/glycerin mouth washes.
Some times salt water gargles and brushing can also help get rid of the coating.

I hope this helps you.

Regards,

Dr.Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience: MBBS
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much. The answer has been very helpful. I appreciate your help.