DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD
8742629

I found a small lump under my rib cage on the right side of ...

I found a small lump under my rib cage on the right side of my stomache. It''s not really sore but it is hard and the size of a pea. What could it be?
Category: Health
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 8 years ago.
Is there any change of color of skin over the lump?

Is lump movable under the skin?

Is lump reducible when you press it?

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There is no change in the color of the skin but the skin does have a dimple where the lump is.

When I push on the lump I can move it from side to side but it is attached what feels like to the skin. I can only move it as far as I can move the skin above it.

The lump is not reducbile and it seems to be slightlyl bigger than yesterday. I don't know if it's tender now because I've pressed on it so much or if it's just becoming tender. Doesn't hurt just slightly tender.
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for additional information,

It is very difficult to tell the exact nature of lesion.

Possibility are lipoma or infected sebaceous gland.

Lipoma are painless fat containing slow growing tumors which are not really cancer.

Basically you need to be examined by a qualified doctor. A sonography of the region is also recommended.

If lesion is growing fast as you have mentioned it is bigger than yesterday it is less likely to lipoma and more likely it is infected sebaceous gland.

Please apply hot compression if there is pain and take Tab acetaminophen. It is over the counter drug.

Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do I need to be overly concerned or let time pass and see if it grows or changes?
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 8 years ago.
No need to be worried.

If it grows rapidly and there is pain or discharge from it please contact your doctor.

To be on safer side it will be better if you once get it examined by your doctor.

Thanks