Doctor Bruce
Doctor Bruce, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years experience: Board Certified in Internal Medicine, published author & health educator.

I have rectal fishers disease... I know nothing about it.

I have rectal fishers disease... I know nothing about it. Can you please give me information on if it is contageous, weather or not anal sex will effect or spread it, and what exactly it is... all I know is that its small cuts that reopen frequently and i have had it since i was small...
Category: Health
Expert:  Doctor Bruce replied 5 years ago.
Hello Customer,

I think I can help clarify some things for you. The condition you describe is "anal fissure." A fissure (it is pronounced "fisher") is simply a small tear in the skin of the anus. You may hear this called "rectal" instead of anal. This skin is somewhat delicate and babies often have anal fissures. Adults have it less often. Causes include constipation and anal sex, both of which stretch out this area of the skin. It is not contagious; it is simply due to the force put on the skin.

You can learn more about it, including some home remedies, by clicking here. Sometimes if the condition doesn't heal, you need to see a doctor, who can use more advanced treatments.

Anal sex can make it worse if the object inserted is very wide, if the penetration is too fast, and most importantly if there is not sufficient lubrication. Lubricants that are made specifically for anal sex are available, as well as guidebooks on how to have anal sex safely, using condoms, and with minimal damage to the anal skin. One source I know of is www.blowfish.com, but a Google search will reveal many. Remember..."Safe" is a key word, because anal sex can spread HIV, Herpes, venereal warts and other sexually transmitted diseases.

Hope this helps.
-----------------------

As explained here, if this helped you, you can choose to "accept" and give me feedback.
Doctor Bruce, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 25 years experience: Board Certified in Internal Medicine, published author & health educator.