Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I had a colonoscopy and they found hemorrhoids. They

I had a colonoscopy and they found hemorrhoids. They don't bleed-meaning I nevr see blood on the stool or in the toilet , but this morning I saw a light red streak on the toilet paper. I was suffering from constipation-I was eating too much bran. I am trying to stay very hydrated and eating fresh veggies and fruit. Can hemorrhoids go away, and can I stop them from bleeing? Also, before the colonscopy prep I was on augmentin which gave me a lot of diarrhea. Could that along with the colonoscoopy prep have caused my hemorrhoids. Even when I was constipated, I nevr saw blood on the toilet paper or anywhere.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 8 years ago.

Colonoscopy preparation and augmentin are not considered responsible for hemorrhoids. Recurrent constipation, prolonged sitting for any reason, less fiber diet, decreased water intake are considered the causative for the hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids can bleed anytime and for prevention of the recurrence of bleeding and treating them (yes, they can go away) following is advised;

1) Avoid constipation by not postponing the urge to defecate; Many over-the-counter options helps speed bowel movements and decrease straining. Duphalac is best.

2) Eat a balanced, high-fiber diet; Increased dietary fiber of 25-30 grams / day. High fiber cereal can help reach this goal quickly

3) Drink plenty of water, liquids

4) Regular exercise; and

5) Avoid excessive pressure and straining during defecation. Don't sit for extended periods, limit this time as much as possible

6) Avoid irritant foods, chillies and hot herbs and substances.

7) Warm sitz baths; this is universally soothing for pain and may help decrease the hemorrhoid size.

8) Local ointments applied in anal canal which contain xylocaine and vasconstrictors (OTC product).

Read here;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun