Doctor Bruce
Doctor Bruce, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years experience: Board Certified in Internal Medicine, published author & health educator.

I have a total cholesterol of 244, HDL of 68.8, LDL of 153, ...

I have a total cholesterol of 244, HDL of 68.8, LDL of 153, Cholesterol/HDL ratio of 3.54 and LDL/HDL ratio of 2.22. Age 53, male. All other chemistry is in normal ranges. Will these trigger anything on an insurance request?

I can give you a better answer if you tell me a few things:
  1. What is your height and weight?
  2. Do you have any chronic diseases such as asthma, diabetes, high blood pressure?
  3. Have you ever had a heart attack or stroke?
  4. Do you take any medications?
  5. Most important: are you talking about life insurance, disability insurance, or health insurance?
Let me know and I'll see if I can give you some assistance.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Doctor Bruce's Post: 58" and 180 lbs, No diseases. No heart attack or stroke, no Meds, Life Insurance.
Hello again,Customer

First off, life insurance is pretty competitive these days, and companies want your business. Health insurance, on the other hand, is trickier.

With your height of 5'8" your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 27.4, which is considered in the "overweight" but not "obese" category. Your Total Cholesterol and your LDL are high, but you also have a high "good" cholesterol.

So, what the insurance company will do is take this information: your age, your BMI, your blood pressure, whether or not you smoke, what diseases you have, your cholesterol, and calculate your life expectancy. (By the way, if you would like to do your own estimate, go here.)

Based on that, the company will determine which "risk" group you fall into. Most likely you will not make it into the "good" risk group which has the lowest premiums. I suspect you will have a higher premium than if all your labs were normal. The one issue that might affect it is smoking: if you smoke, expect much higher premiums.

Oh, and depending on the amount of insurance, the company may insist on a medical exam. If you are getting a million dollar policy, for example, they most likely will want to get an exam to make sure you're telling the truth.

Hope this helps.

As explained here, if this helped you, you can choose to "accept" and give me feedback.