Lindie, Healthcare Expert
Experience:  17+ years, Healthcare Expert

I have a pain in my upper left chest area to the side of my ...

I have a pain in my upper left chest area to the side of my left brest; it hurts when I enhale and the pain is very uncomfortable.   I am 44, female.   Today is my first time of feeling this pain.. i have experienced pleurisy in both lungs, once, more than 27 years ago (1991). the symptoms seem the same (hurts to inhale or expand chest cavity; lingering dull pain).   Please let me know what you think.

Generally the left chest pain can indicate gas pain. (that's if you mean by your breast bone and not upper abdomen area) Which could be from gall bladder, GERD, even possible lung, Esophageal pain. Only thing is all of this can mimic heart problems as well. If you are unsure, it is always best to be seen to make sure this is not related to your heart. Other wise, a Gastroenterologist would be the best doctor in find more about the cause.

Here is a site you can read over as well with chest pain, if you have any of the other symptoms then do be seen. read here

As far as Pleurisy, since you have had this previously, it's possible as well. Especially if the pain becomes worse when coughing, taking in a deep breath or moving. So either way, without an in person evaluation it would be hard to pin point. But something you should call your doctors office. Even if they ran an EKG it can help indicate if it's heart related or something else is going on.

Hope this helps, If you need anything else please feel free to ask. If you found this helpful don't forget to click the *ACCEPT* button and please take a moment to leave me *POSITIVE* feedback.