DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

I have numbness in my finger now for about a week , pinky ...

I have numbness in my finger now for about a week , pinky finger. How can i get rid of it?
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.

Numbness is a sign of nerve affection. This could be affection of the ulnar nerve or nerves in the neck.
The ulnar nerve forms in the axilla from nerve bernaces coming from neck, then it descends down the arm & winds round the inner bony prominence of elbow (funny bone) & then decends in the forearm to supply the inner side of forearm , hand & the pinky finger. This nerve is very superficial at the elbow & repetitive movements of the elbow or pressure at the elbow due to certain activities like resting the elbows on the arms of a chair or on the desk can cause pinching of this nerve & numbness. This can be avoided & treated by avoiding such repititive tasks that could pinch this nerve. Taking vitamins of the B-complex group helps recovery.
You need to get yourself checked with a physician if these simple measures do not help. A neck x-ray & electromyography-nerve conduction studies can help the diagnosis.
For more information, please read this.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.