DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
7632001

that my blood test came back positive for down syndrome

I was told that my blood test came back positive for down syndrome. they would not elaborate does that mean my baby will have down syndrome they scheduled me to come in for some kind of screening. I''m a 26 black woman what are the chances that my baby will be born with DS
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 6 years ago.
HelloCustomer

All pregnancies are routinely screened for Down syndrome using blood tests & ultrasound. The risk of Downs syndrome in the baby depends on results of thses tests & mothers age.The ultrasound screening measures translucency of the skin folds t athe back of the neck.
The combination of blood tests & ultrasound screening has a detection rate of 95%. There is a 5 % rate falsely positive result.

If these screening tests all come positive, then they would do chromosomal analysis of the fetus by amniocentesis or chorionic villus sampling. Amniocentesis is examination of fluid that surronds the fetus & contains some floating fetal cells. Chorionic villus sampling is sampling the placenta for fetal cells.

So the botXXXXX XXXXXne is you need to wait for the further screening tests to know the exact risk. They will give a quantitative estimate of down syndrome risk based on the test results & your age.

For more information, please read this.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
the combination of the blood test and ultrasound is 95% but what is the percentage rate of just the positive blood test
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 6 years ago.
Blood tests (quadruple screen ) would detect around 80 % of the cases.
Triple screen would detect around 70% of cases
For more information, please read this

DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD