DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

it possible to have the sickle cell trait

Is it possible to have the sickle cell trait and not know it? My daughter is bi-racial and the hospital did not test for it at birth in 1980. My son was tested before surgery and tested negative. Their half sister is also bi-racial and has the trait. My son is Rh- and both girls are Rh+. All of them are AB, the B+ is from Dad and the A- from the mothers.
Sickle cell trait does not cause any symptoms or signs & people can lead normal ;lives with the trait. So, it is very common that people with this trait do not know that they have the trait.
For more information, please read this.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.