Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

bleeding (bright red) in my stools, pain in my abdomen..thumb

Customer Question

i had a colonoscopy in june,2008. since i have had bleeding (bright red) in my stools, pain in my abdomen, and bloating. i had quite afew pulps removed when i had the surgery and one was the size of my thumb. i went back to work the day after the surgery. i do quite a bit of heavy lifting. the doctor didn''t seem to think it would hurt. i have been back to the doctor after the surgery and he did do blood work, but nothing was found. should i be concerned?
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

I am concerned as to why the doctor did not comment on your bloody stools and abdominal discomfort, when you went for a follow-up visit. You didn't mention the exact date in June that you had the procedure done, but this is now July. Do you know what he was looking for in your bloodwork that was fine?There should be concern if you are still having bloody stools. The doctor needs to determine where you are bleeding from. Please make an appointment to see the doctor again, and let me know how you are doing.

Stay Well!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terry's Post: doctor tested my blood and found a very high white bood cell count and low hemoglobin, they want to test my blood again, possible leukemia. i am having pain in the lower left side of my back along with the bloating and bleeding.just visited the doctor 7-24-08. will be going back 08-15-08. do all of these syptoms appear to you to be leukemia?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
this pain in my lower left back causes my left leg to want to give out from under me at times.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
i did go back to my doctor as you had suggested. on 7-24-08 they did more blood work my white blood count was very high and my hemoglobin was low. the doctor wants to run more blood work on 08-15-08, testing me for leukemia. i still have some bleeding, quite a bit of bloating(which is very uncomfortable), pain in my lower left back which radiates in to my left leg, and at times makes my left leg want to give out. i am a vietnam vet. and have been exposed to agent organe. my doctor tells me that leukemia and agent organe run hand in hand. i am becoming more concerned at each visit. i do have copd and emphizema in my right lung from astobestosis. i am trying to give you all that has been found so possibly i can get a more accurate answer.
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

I am sorry for the delayed response. Thank you very much for the extra added detail that you provided. Please know that the symptoms that you have can be attributed to other diseases or illnesses other than leukemia. Although you have to wait for your next doctor visit and lab work, bare with it and think positively because this is the beginning of an investigative process to determine the cause of your problem. A high white blood cell count (WBC) can indicate infection. Do you have fever or any other symptoms to indicate this? The drop in your hemoglobin could be from the bleeding that you are having. Do you still see bright red blood in your stool? This symptom can make you feel tired and short of breath which could exacerbate your respiratory conditions, so be aware of any changes. In the meantime, eat foods rich in iron such as spinach, raisins, red meat that is cooked rare. The doctor will probably put you on an iron supplement as well.

Low platelet count is another finding in the blood, with leukemia. This leads to low clotting time and therefore bruising and bleeding.

Diagnosis of leukemia requires blood tests to examine the white blood cells for abnormality and examination of bone marrow is also necessary.

I cannot say at this time that your symptoms are particularly those of leukemia but it does need to be ruled out. I still have concern about blood in stool after having colonoscopy and I would have the GI doctor re-examine that issue as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you would like me to send you a website which explains leukemia and it's symptoms?

Please be well!