DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

on birth control pills for about 32 years..regular periods

I have been on birth control pills for about 32 years. I am 52. I still have regular periods while taking the pill. My doctor just did a blood thest that showed that I was menopausal. She told me I could stop taking the pill. Would I be menopausal and still be having regular periods? I am a little uneasy about just stopping the pill without any other form of birth control. Is the blood test always accurate?
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.
Blood levels of FSH are used to check for menopausal status. Values above 25 indicate menopause.
If you have already attained menopause, there will be no ovulation even if the pills are stopped.
While on BCPs, the vaginal bleeding is due to cyclical hormone withdrawal. This can take place even after menses.
You should speak to your doctor for hormone replacement therapy. This would help you cope up with menopausal symptoms & prevent osteoporosis.
For more information, please read the last sectionin this article.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.