Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

when putting weight on my foot i get a sharp pain ...

when putting weight on my foot i get a sharp pain across the front of the ankle . i have difficulty putting any weight on this foot, and over the last few weeks the pain has moved to the back and sides of the ankle, and up the lower shins. there is no swelling or redness. there is no pain when weight is taken of the foot. I am wearing support bandages with little or small improvement.
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Please have your ankle x-rayed as soon as possible to be sure that you don't have a hairline fracture . If there is a slight fracture, and you continue walking and putting pressure on it, you will make matters worse. In the meantime, stay off of it, and keep it elevated on soft pillows.

Even though you may not have fallen, you may have tripped, banged it or twisted your foot, creating the pain. Ibuprofen or tylenol will help relieve pain for now.