DoogleNK
DoogleNK, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
7632001

difficulty opening the eyes as the eyelids stick together

Customer Question

My eyes are puffy and red. I notice quite a amount of pus is in my eyes. when i wake up each time i have difficulty opening the eyes as the eyelids ''stick'' together. what should i do? i''ve tried eye drops but it doesn''t seems to work.
Category: Health
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.
Presence of pus in the eyes is an indication of bacterial infection. This could be conjunctivitis which can cause redness, swelling, pus & sticking of eyelids.
It is importent to check whether the infection has or is spreading to deeper parts of the eye.
You need to consult an ophthalmologist for evaluation & treatment. Evaluation may include eye exam & local swabs. Treatment may involve use of antibiotics (drops/ ointments/ oral), astringent eye drops or artificial tears , keeping the eyes clean, wahsing them frequently & warm compresses.
For more information, please read this.

Kindly press ACCEPT if your question has been answered. FEEDBACK is always appreciated.
______________________________________________________________________
Please note that the information provided is not a substitute to medical advice.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm currently doing radiotherapy due to lymphoma. is it fine to consult any opthalmologist and use eye drops off the counter?
Expert:  DoogleNK replied 8 years ago.
You should consult an ophthalmologist . He/she will assess the condition & prescribe required medications/eye drops. Do let hem/her know about your radiotherapy & lymphoma.