Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery
206912

I took the over the counter urinalysis test and got ...

I took the over the counter urinalysis test and got positive (purple) on the WBC and negative on the nitrites. What does this mean?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
This means that your urine has evidence of white blood cells in it.

Nitrates (note the "A") are converted to nitrites (note the "I") by bacteria in the urine.

Nitrates are normally found in the urine.
Nitrites are not.

Thus a positive nitrIte test on the urinalysis test would be representative of an infection, particularly by those bacteria (gram negative rods).

So you may have a mild urinary tract infection, but there appears to be less evidence for bacteria in the urine, so you may have the WBC due to another reason (inflammation) somewhere along the urinary tract.

So this probably is a relatively inconclusive test and tough to say you do or do not have an infection based on this; if you have the symptoms of an infection, that probably would push the evidence toward yes. If no symptoms, then no.