Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

nose, going down to a tingling feeling in the jaws..his chest..stomach

Our son-in-law is having episodes for the past year and a half with no spacific time line. They start with a fowl smell in the nose, going down to a tingling feeling in the jaws, going down through his chest and ending up in the stomach area making him feel bloated and painful. Sometimes he''ll have 3 or 4 a day and he''ll then go maybe a month feeling fine. He has had all kinds of tests and they can''t seem to find anything wrong with him.
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Could you please tell me what tests he has had done and what the results were. What kind of medical specialist has he seen so far? Does he have any health problems or allergies? What medications does he take? Where exactly is his stomach pain located?

Thanks! I will await your reply.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hi Terry!
With regards XXXXX XXXXX son-in-laws problem, this is what I found our. He has had 3 EEG's and all is good. He had 1 MRI of his head and sinus and all was negative. He also had a Cat Scan and all was ok. His primary doctor sent him to see a specialist who in turn sent him to an Eye, Ear and Nose specialist. He could find nothing so he sent him to a seizure specialist. This specialist gave him a examination, looked at the results of all the tests and prescribed Tegrepo-XR 200 mg. 1 tablet 2 x a day. He did this but continued having the episode periodically. He stopped the pills. He said that the only thing he is allegeric to is bread products. They make his nose run. Nothing serious. I might add that when he has these episodes they only last about 30 sec to 1 minute and then he feels fine. The pain in his stomach is just below the belly button. That's the best way that he can describe it. Thanks a lot for your help.
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Thank you very much for the extra added detail. I am glad to hear that your son-in-law had an extensive medical work up thus far. It is a matter of ruling certain problems out to determine the cause. Was it the doctor that stopped the Tegretol? This is an anti seizure medication and should be taken for a period of time to determine if it is effective. If the doctor did not tell him to stop taking it, then please discuss with doctor. If he is allergic to bread products, that usually can mean wheat and flour, which means he has to avoid products with those ingredients, by reading labels carefully.

I wanted to recommend that he try doing a nasal wash, which is washing the nasal passages with a mild saline and water solution to moisturize and clear any excess drainage out of his nose. He can buy a kit at the drugstore. Just have him ask the pharmacist. The sense of smell and taste does have an effect on the release of gastric juices and I think this is why he gets stomach pains when he has the foul smell in his nose. Since he is under the doctors care, please ask about using an acid reducer such as prilosec. Hopefully it will keep his stomach from hurting when he gets the episode.

I hope all will be well with your son-in law!