Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

last week I have been having a fever low around 102, High around 104

I just wanted to know if I should go to the emergency room or not. For the last week I have been having a fever low around 102, High around 104. Last week I had no other problems. Late last week I noticed that I had some swelling behind my left ear. I have been having problems keeping myself hydrated. Today I went to an urgent care clinic. The Doctor took some blood and prescribed me Amoxicil and said I might have a infection. He also stated that I had some white patches on my throat. He did not prescribe me anything else. Since I have got home my fever has climbed back up to the 104 mark. He did not prescribe any pain killer or anything for my throat. Should I check my self in to an emergency room or just wait tell tommorrow and try to see another doctor?
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Did the doctor do a throat culture to see if you have a strep infection in your throat? You have to give the Amoxicillin at least 48 hours to work. You should feel a little better within 24 hours, though. You must try to keep your fever down below 102. Take tylenol, motrin or aspirin (whichever one you have been taking). Drink plenty of fluids so you stay hydrated, and please rest. Call the doctor to find out the results of your blood tests. Drink warm tea or you can suck on ice to soothe your throat, whichever works best. Use throat lozenges as well.

Terry