Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

Tender tip of penis and small red area around urethra openin ...

Tender tip of penis and small red area around urethra opening. I have been to doctor all std tests are negative, no hiv, herpes, etc. But tip of penis is sore when my underwear rubs against it. slight discomfort when urinating but not a burning sensation. i believe i had jock itch, (red rash on inner thighs and red scrotum), I used lamisil for 2 weeks and it cleared. Now i have a small reddish area on tip of penus which is tender. if touched directly it does not seem to hurt, definitely not as much as my underwear rubbing against it. I tried 1% hydrocortizone for about 6 days with no change.

any thoughts?
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

You describe it as red and irritated but no discharge. At this time keep it clean and dry. Do not use soap on the area. Apply antibiotic ointment such as neosporin, for a few days. The ointment will also keep it somewhat protected from the urine and the rubbing against your underwear. Wear cotton because it breathes well and doesn't retain moisture. Silk underwear may work well because they are smoothe. Either way, avoid the friction and apply the ointment. If it does not begin to heal then you will have to go back to the doctor for a urine culture and a swab of the area to determine if you have an infection.

Sincerely,

Terry