Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

55 yearl old female with finger nail lifting

Customer Question

diagnosed 8 os. ago with shogrens
disease and renaulds disease. on
plaqenil med. nails started lifting
2 mos after diagnosis thryoid was
alittle of was on mediciine for that
omly 6 weeks than taken of
i havehad a thumb nail green finger
for about 3 years. that will notattach.
i have tried the strongest naul medicine but nothing seems to work.
the nails are growing normally and
fast. they were ok from april 2 2008
untill present time. a test was done
by a doctor for the thumb and they all
came back clear. i was told at the nail
spa that the acrylis have to come of.
don''t know what to do. i am seeing
a reumotologist wonder if she would]
know anything about this.. thanks\
for any help. v stitze; on ohio
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. First and foremost the acrylic nails should be removed as soon as possible. Second, When the fingernail lifts it is usually from injury to the nail, including a fungus infection which is common on finger and toenails. Having acrylic nails can encourage the fungus to grow because moisture gets trapped under the nail. Remove them and begin treating the 'green' nail with an antifungal agent that you can buy in a drug store or beauty supply store. Apply the liquid as directed, to the affected areas. Once your nail lifts, as you described, it will not re-attatch. It needs to be removed and a new nail should grow underneath. The doctor to see, if necessary is a dermatologist, as you may need a stronger prescription medication.

Terry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
your answer didn't help me i already knew
everything you told me. i am more concered about
the shogrens disease caussing this or am i more
susseptible to this because of the suto immunie
disease. i am a very clean person. i do not
believe acyrils nails are bad.   i have been
using them for over 5 years. and i have never had
any problem. i have my own nails and the poswder
on top i guess you neam acryklic. why would millions of women do this if they are all going to get fungus.what would a dermatologist be able to tell me that a regular dr. hasn't they charge you a lot of money also they perform nail test tthat take 6 weeks to get results. also i have not banged my nauils or hurt them in any way. o wear rubbler gloves for cleaning ect. and i am very careful mayble this has something to do with menopause. which i belive i am starting now at a late age.

i have a twin sister who has a lot of health problems and he nails are strong and healthy.. every body this nails lift if you have a fungus. i don't think that is the case for me.. like i said i already had a test about 6 mos. ago. and verything came back normal for an infection o son't thin i have a fungus infectin. the green is just mold from watergetting in under the mail. thanks
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.

Thank you very much for your very detailed reply. First, I want to respond to your last sentence. "Just mold" is exactly what can cause the problem. It is green, it is fungus and it grows from the moisture that is seeping under the layer of acrylic and mold grows on that trapped moisture. Your fingernail will definitely lift and you will lose it, if the fungus grows without treatment. This is a fact when wearing acrylics. Nail techs are aware of this and apply an anti fungal medication when doing your 'fills'. If this does not treat it and kill the fungus then the acrylic is removed to allow healing. Acrylic nails are beautiful and I think they are great also. You can have the area culture for fungus or bacteria to be sure. But I am worried about you. Sjögren's Syndrome is a chronic disease concerning the white blood cells attacking moisture producing glands. Typical symptoms are dry eyes and dry mouth, but it can affect many organs and can cause fatigue. This is NOT directly related to your fingernail problem.

I am stepping away from the computer now and will look for your reply this afternoon.

Terry

Terry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
terry, thank you for your response.i am using
a string medicine which is guranteed to kill
any fungus . the nails were removed a week age.
and i was told that i will problably never be
able to were them again/ i thought it was interesting that wre ok for 3 mos. and now they are lifting again. something internal has to be causing this i don't know if a dermatologist can help like i said. why are you worried about me?
they also told me that this can cause a blood infection if it spreads. how do i prevent this
from happening also they are saying that lamisil
has alot of side effects and can cause liver damage. i used it about 3 years ago. this is
my second thumb nail infection in 3 years.
how do you remove a nail. i bet this must look
pretty bad i work in a jewelry store , i don't think i want my nail removed. the nail is growing and when it gets to the end. it doesnt stick. maybe i should let this get real long
and don't file it for a about a month. sorry about the bad spelling i type fast and don't correct mistakes. thankk you for your time
please explain why you are worried about me.
now you are making me worry (just kidding
i am very healthy for my age, everyone says
i look 40 and i am 55. i hope we can resolve this nail problem. it is driving me crazy???
thanks for your time vesna
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.

Hello Vesna,

I expressed worry for you because I am a caring person and that is my nature. I know what the effects of an untreated fungal infection of the nail can be. You did the best thing for now which is to remove the acrylics. Also, keep in mind that the accrylic powder and liquid is a chemical that you your skin and body can react to as well. But now you are clear of that. Anti-fungal treatment is fine to continue at this time. What 'string' medicine are you using? The reason I recommended a visit to a dermatologist is because he is a skin specialist and the nails are part of his specialty since they are part of the skin. If the infection is treated properly then a new nail will begin to grow as you lose the affected one. He can only help you with your problem or refer you to another specialist. Keep your nails short for now and enjoy using your fingertips!! I speak from experience as well. Once you are treated and healed, you will probably be able to put them on again, if you choose. After 20 years I removed mine for a year and a half and enjoyed using my finfertips. I did keep them manicured and they were damaged. Yep, I have them back on now.

I wish you well. Let me know if you would like to talk further.

Terry

Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience: Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
terry, iwas wondering if it was ok to wear nail polish? some of my nails are green look yuccy
to wear to work Jewelry store) the nail place told me it was ok to polish them. the medicineiscalled nail miss dark brown bottle
i took my polish of to see them and they look much better than they did a week ago. so it must be working. as you know some of these internal medicines are expensive lamisl is 300.00
for like 10 days worth of pills. i know a lot
about medicine becausei am a doctor wan a be.
love to watch all the medical shows on tv.
thanks again for being so great. hope to hear
from you abouth the polish, me being a diva and
all fondly vesna
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.

Hello Vesna,

Yes you can wear nail polish as long as you are applying the anti-fungal liquid underneath as directed. The green color (mold) will grow out with your nail as it grows. If there is only green discoloration then you can gently buff it off of the top of your nail with a soft nail file or buffer. Don't buff the nail to thin though.

I am sure that you are a beautiful diva, inside and out, and you certainly made my day!

Very nice to know you Vesna!

It is free to reply to this info request.

Terry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi terry. anyone who can putup with my awfull is a great person. you are one of those.
i am sorry if some of my e-mails were rude thisisvery stresstful for me. it has being going
on for 8 mos. you have asome great advice.
sorry if i was mean. i enjoy talking to people
and interacting with them. ive enjoyed our emailshopefully i am on the road to recovery.
i will contune to use the medicine for a long
time. thanks for all your great help. and may
the lord bless you for making a difference
inpeople lives vesna the diva aka the jewelery
queen!!!!!!
Expert:  Terry replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Vesna, the *DIVA* aka the jewelery lady!

Bless your heart!

Terry

P.S. You can buy the liquid in the beauty supply store (where the nail techs get it) or you can make an inquiry at the healthfood store for their product.