Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

I have pain in my left leg and I cant put any weight ...

Customer Question

I have pain in my left leg and I can''t put any weight on it when I first get out of bed. It really hurts on the outer edge of my thigh but also sometimes starts by the ankle and seems to travel over the knee to outer left thigh. What do you think the problem is?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Does the pain seem to come from the buttock, down the side of the thigh, over the knee?

How long has this been going on?

Does it get better during the day?

Any problems with the right leg?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Mark's Post: No, it does not come from the buttock. It really hurts right above knee on outer edge to the back of the thigh. It's been going on since around June 30th. Yes, it gets better during the day. No problems with right leg.
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
Do you happen to cross your legs often, with the right knee over your left leg?

Any weakness or numbness in the leg (like lifting your foot up at the ankle)?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm left handed so I cross my left leg over my right more often than right over left but yes I do cross my legs often. I first noticed the pain after a very stressful week at work and wondered if I had been holding my left leg in a "stressed" position during that week.

No weakness or numbness by lifting foot at ankle -just pain
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
When you tell me the pain is on the outside of the thigh that travels down toward the ankle, there is the possibility of nerve compression as the cause, which can happen in many places, but the two most likely are:

1) in the back, from a herniated disc "pinching" a nerve, causing the pain that travels down the leg

2) compression of the peroneal nerve at the level of the knee - this nerve runs down the outside of the knee, and compression of it, say from crossing your legs, can occasionally cause pain that runs into the upper thigh down the leg, and occasionally weakness in the foot.

The pains could also be coming from problems with the knee itself, like inflammation of the tendons, or bursa, but the pain probably wouldn't feel like it travels down the leg.

You may want to pay attention to see if keeping pressure off the legs (don't cross the legs) helps with the pain over the next couple of days. If the pain continues, or you develop weakness in the foot, the best thing would be to have an examination by a doctor and bloodwork along with possible imaging to help determine the cause of the pain.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dr. Mark, I appreciated the additional questions and your answer to my question. The whole experience was pretty cool. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
You're welcome, and I hope your leg feels better soon.