Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

My problem is that i sweat loads from my head, i am ...

My problem is that i sweat loads from my head, i am reasonably fit and im not overweight, just standing in the sum makes the sweat run off which has become imbarrising and is having an adverse effect on my work
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Sweating is necessary to control body temperature, it is a way of cooling the body in warm'hot situations. Excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) of the scalp can be embarrassing. Primary hyperhidrosis starts earlier in life and the secondary type is usually due to an underlying problem. It can be due to a thyroid or pituitary gland problem, diabetes or tumors. If it is that severe and is embarrassing to you and interrupting your lifestyle, then I recommend evaluation by your physician. There are medications that can be prescribed. In the meantime, avoid standing in the sun, drink plenty of water, use a handkerchief, to wipe away sweat, use antiperspirant, and avoid spicy foods.