Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

having strange sensations in the right side of my head..spine

I have been having strange sensations in the right side of my head for the past week - about once every other day. Each time the sensations lasts a little longer - maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute now. It is like when you shiver with a chill up your spine sort of thing. I do have HTN - on toprol - 50 mg daily. I work in health care and probably read too much and this concerns me now that it has happened a number of times in close succession. I am 59, cholesterol is aprox. 190. Could this have anything to do with the carotid artery?
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Working in health care does give us the advantage of knowing 'too much'. But that's okay for you to wonder about this new sensation that you are having because you've not felt it before. It does not sound like something serious as it could be related to nerve endings being stimulated. Although I think I know the feeling that you are referring to. It is not a symptom that is particular to a blocked carotid artery, however you can confirm this by visiting your doctor. Be sure that your blood pressure is being maintained at normal level, while taking the toprol. At this time, with no other symptoms, I can advise an exam by your doc to relieve your concerns, or you can wait another week to see if this feeling stops on it's own, just as it started.

Sincerely,

Terry