Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

very moderately sexually active person..antibodies..Herpes Simplex

At age 59, and a very moderately sexually active person, just this week I was tested for SDTs. It was a 7 panel test. Turns out I have antibodies for both Type 1 (test method Herpes Simplex 1; Test HSV-1 aB lgG; result 1.25H) and Type 2 (test method Herpes Simplex 2; Test HSV-2 aB lgG; result >5.00H). I have no symptoms (cold sores or lesions) and have never had any during my adult life. I have regular doctors checkups and annual blood tests for lipids, etc. My specific questions are: 1) Are these the best tests for herpes?; 2) What do these specific results (HSV-1 @ 1.25 H, and HSV-2 @ >5.00 H)?; 3) What is the likelihood of a false positive in either case? 4) Is there any additional testing you would recommend? I have done some initial research on the web re: herpes and familiarized myself with many of the details of the disease, its symptoms, prevalence, treatments, transmission, etc. Are there specific sources you would recommend for further research.

A way to diagnose herpes is to detect antibodies in the blood that the body has made to fight off the virus after infection. These antibodies last for a lifetime after an infection. They can be detected by a blood test even if no signs or symptoms are present at the time the patient visits the doctor. Antibodies develop even when patients have never had symptoms of herpes. Once you have been exposed to herpes, you develop the antibodies even though the virus will be dormant in your body. So the lab reading that you got does not mean that you have herpes, but instead that you once were exposed and your body developed the antibody for the virus.

Of course you can run the test again but it will probably show the same result. I thought you might like to look at the website below.