Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

I have a grandson, 25 yrs of age who in the last 2 ...

Customer Question

I have a grandson, 25 yrs of age who in the last 2 weeks has totally changed behavior. He has gone to the emergency room 4 times. He thinks there is something wrong, that he is in immenient danger of death. The doctors have not found anything wrong. He has had 2 Cat scans, prescribed zanax from one doctor, a psychiatrist perscribed anti depressants, he is still trying to find out what is happening to him, and is not satisfied with the fact that just because they have not found anything does not mean that there is nothing wrong. This behavior is totally out of character for him. He is happily married with a two-year old child. It is now interferring with his ability to work. Do you have a suggestion as to what the next step might be? We are baffled!
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Pardon me, but I would like to know if he uses drugs or drinks alcohol, as this can have an effect on personality and imagination. Thank you!. Sometimes psychiatric symptoms seem to appear out of the blue in a normal healthy individual. He needs a psychiatric work-up with the pschiatrist and should be in talk therapy with the doc as well to discuss what is going on and what he is feeling. These thoughts can occur when one fears losing loved ones and having a wife and little girl could make him fearful of dying and losing his family. These thoughts can occur in some people.

Dying fear is created by the unconcious mind and is used as a protective mechanism.

Please take a look at the website below for more info.

http://www.changethatsrightnow.com/understand-m.asp?SDID=4751:1889

Terry

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He does not do drugs or alchohol. This fear came on him initially when he found a little blood in his stools. His mother had ulcerative colitis when she was in her twenties and almost died before her doctors realized she needed to have her colon entirely removed as the medication to control it was not helping. He had asked us about this about six months ago as he was a baby when it happened and had heard us talking about it almost cost her her life. We explained it to him, as she had not as he did not ask her. This is when the fear and the anxiety began. He is sure he has something that is going to kill him before he catches it and keeps going to the hospital and different doctors so he can catch it before it does kill him. The doctors he has seen and the emergency room doctors have found nothing physically wrong with him. He has now been taken to a psychiatrist and she feels it is all anxiety and has put him on an anti-depressant and recommended counseling sessions. Do you feel this is the best route? Sounds as tho you do.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

Hello

As you have mentioned that after investigations every thing was found normal,still he is not convinced and is visiting different doctors,I would like you to see this webpage for more information and to gain some insight regarding this type of illness.

Hypochondriasis

Hypochondriasis

I hope it helps.

If it is the case,he needs a Psychiatrist help.Various treatment options are already discussed in these webpages.

If you have any other query,please tell me.

Regards
-------------------------------
Press "ACCEPT" if your question has been answered,so that I can be paid for it!
Positive Feedback is always appreciated.
Please ask any follow up question freely.
If you are not satisfied with the answer,please do not click ACCEPT button and tell me so that I can REQUEST other experts here to answer it..

.
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Thank you for your reply and the extra added detail! Yes, I do think you are taking the best route right now. He needs the comfort and reassurance that he is ok and death is NOT upon him. His feelings can only be controlled by him and that usually makes it difficult for the family. See how he does on the zanax as that will relieve some anxiety and help him to sleep. As far as the antidepressants go, I am not convinced that you have described the signs of clinical depression. If the medication does not help him then I would talk to the doc about not using an antidepressant. Also, seratonin levels should be checked to see if he benefits from the antidepressant. Talk therapy is very important and I am a strong believer of the imporance of nutrition, on the mind and body. He should avoid foods and drinks containing high amounts of sugars and avoid processed foods.. Have him increase fresh fruit and vegetable intake. Drink plenty of water and take a daily multivitamin which contains vitamin B complex as this is good for the nervous system. In addition to psychotherapy he will need a tremendous amount of distraction and reassurance from the family, which sounds very supportive.

Please let me know if you would like to talk further.

I hope all will be well with your grandson!

Terry

Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience: Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling