Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling

I help him when this happens

I have a friend who suffers from seizures. How can I help him when this happens?

The main thing to do when someone is having a seizure is to keep them from hurting themselves. IF you anticipate the seizure is going to occur, you can ease the person to the floor to prevent them from falling and hurting themselves. Turn them on their side to prevent choking on any vomit that may occur. Keep them away from furniture and anything in the way of hurting them. Teeth will clench and they can bite their tongue so you can place a soft cloth across their teeth. Until you are familiar with a seizure, it can be frightening because the person loses control of their movements and their eyes may roll back. Stay calm and know tha they will come through it very quickly.

It is most important to be under doctor's care and he should be on anti-seizure medication. Definitely do not drive a vehicle.

Look at the website below for some more helpful information.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I jsut wanted to stated for teh record that the answer I received has been extremely helpful and FAST!!!! I am so greatful that I have found this site. Should I have any further questions, you better believe that this is where I'll go!!!!!

Thank you for your positive comments. It's been a pleasure working with you. Please feel free to request me, in the future, if you would like.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terry's Post: I will ask for no one else BUT you!

Hi Michael,

Thank You and I look forward to working with you again!