Terry
Terry, Nurse, RN, BSN
Experience:  Adult/ Respiratory/ Neonatal ICU, Pediatric/Adolescent Care, Geriatrics, Patient/Parent Counseling
5185315

I AM A 38 YEAR OLD. IM HAVING PROBLEM PASSING MY ...

I AM A 38 YEAR OLD. I''M HAVING PROBLEM PASSING MY DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION PHYSICAL BECAUSE OF MY BLOOD PRESSURE. I AM ON ACCUPRIL 20MG/ONCE A DAY. MY PRESSURE IS FINE UNTIL I PULL UP TO THE DOCTORS OFFICE PARKING LOT, THEN MY HEART STARTS POUNDING, AND I START SWEATING. DOES THIS SOUND LIKE ANXIETY? WHAT SHOULD I DO, AND WHAT TYPE OF PHYSICIAN SHOULD I SEE?
Category: Health
Expert:  Terry replied 8 years ago.

Hello Ronnette,

It is very common for blood pressure and heart rate to increase when one goes to the doctor's office. Yes, it is usually due to anxiety over the anticipation of the visit. Have you determine exactly what you are anxious about? It seems that your doctor visit is for blood pressure check or the physical for your job, so you need to find a way to relax your body when you get there. Deep breathing is a good technique of breathing slowly in through your nose and exhaling out through your mouth with a blowing motion. When you get to the office parking lot, do breathing exercise for a few minutes and then in the waiting room as well. Read a book or magazine and do not concentrate on the visit. Remember how quickly it will be over. Focus on your slow breathing exercise and relaxing your entire body.

Let me know if I can help further.

Good luck!

Terry