Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

What does broken glass mean regarding the lungs. Or it may ...

What does broken glass mean regarding the lungs. Or it may be shattered glass. I''m not sure, but I found it within one of my xray reports. The Dr. hasn''t talked to me about it, and I''m concerned. I''m a 67yr old femal who smokes menthol cigarettesI''ve been smoking this time for about 5yrs. I''m a former smoker of30yrs who quit for 15yrs. I restarted 5yrs ago when my husband was critically ill. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 8 years ago.
I think you are referring to "ground glass" appearance on the xray.

This is just as it sounds, as if you were to step on glass and grind it down to fine particles.

On a xray, this usually represents some type of inflammatory process in the lungs, or some scarring, like the condition known as "pneumonitis". The inflammation can come from numerous different causes, though it will depend on exactly how it looks on your chest xray, physical exam, and further testing to find out exactly what has caused this.