Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  U.S. Physician/Surgeon in Neurosurgery

sever back pain frequent urination

I am having very severe back pain and frequent urination. I still have the urge to urinate even after I have finished doing so.
The pain in left side of lower back is so severe tht I cant do a thing.its unbearable.
Doc says it might be stone or infection which he'll know after the urine report arrives.
please tell me wht it is and how can I get relief from this pain.
Right now I am taking prescribed pain killers which just about help for 3-4 hrs.
First they will need to see if there is evidence of a urinary tract infection, or a kidney stone that is causing this pain.

Then the treatments can be directed towards this.

Pain in the left lower back is where one would expect a kidney stone pain to come from, so this is probably high on your doctor's radar.

If this is not the case, the other place to look would be for a large herniated disc in the lumbar spine (lower back) which could cause problems with urination (by pressing on the nerves that go to the bladder) as well as problems with back pain (by pressing on the nerves that go to the back). This would probably be the next best place to look if there is no evidence of kidney stones on your tests.