Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Do you need a full single 2g dose of Azithromycin to treat ...

Customer Question

Do you need a full single 2g dose of Azithromycin to treat gonorrhea/chlamydia, or will 6-12 250mg doses be effective?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD replied 8 years ago.

Eric,

8 (eight) 250mg doses taken at the same time will be the same as a full single dose of 2g of Azithromycin.

But please remember that the 8 capsules of 250mg will need to be taken one after the other in a row at the same time.

I hope this helps.

Let me know if you need more input. If not, please click on the green"Accept" button on this page. A positive rating and adding a bonus will be warmly appreciated.

.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, MD's Post: Is that a safe and effective treatment for gonorrhea/chlamydia? Thank you; I will accept after this is answered...Customer
Expert:  Family Physician replied 8 years ago.
It should be noted that azithromycin is NOT the recommended treatment for gonorrhea based on the CDC's latest recommendations:

Azithromycin. A single 2-g dose of azithromycin administered orally is effective against uncomplicated urogenital gonococcal infection (efficacy, 99.2%; 95% CI, 97.2%-99.9%) However, it is not recommended as a treatment for gonorrhea, because that dose is associated with gastrointestinal tract symptoms in 35% of patients and is expensive; furthermore, such a regimen produces sustained low levels of drug, a situation considered to be favorable for the induction of resistance in gonococci [85, 113, 114>.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Family Physician's Post: Thank you. What would you recommend as a treatment for gonorrhea/chlymdia? I have not used this site before and want you to be paid for your information - do I need to ask new question for you to respond to this?
I forgot to provide you with the link to the full recommendations:
http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/full/10.1086/511422?cookieSet=1
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
The azithromax is effective for the chlamydia at a 1 gram (1000 mg) dose, but it is NOT recommended for the gonorrhea.

Eric,

The first line of treatment of Gonorrhea is with drugs like cefixime and ceftriaxone due to recent cases of drug resistance. These are all of course prescription drugs.