Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics

I quit smoking 30 days ago! My anxiety levels are very high ...

I quit smoking 30 days ago! My anxiety levels are very high and I have a tough time concentrating. Now I''m becoming depressed. Do you have any suggestions on what will make my everyday life easier(normal) for me right now? I am normally a chipper, out-going, very happy person and I am struggling to make it through each day.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

You have done a great job by quitting smoking as you already must be knowing about the various helath hazards caused by it.

Provided you have a Nicotine dependence, withdrawal symptoms after stopping smoking can develop within 2 hours of smoking and may persist for weeks or months.

Common symptoms include an intense craving for nicotine,irritability,difficulty concentrating,drowsiness etc.

There are Nicotine replacement therapies available which help in nicotine cessation probably because they reduce withdrawal.

You may discuss with your doctor about these options -

Nicotine Gum

Nicitotine patches

Other option is of Nonnicotine medicines - Drug such as Buproprion and Clonidine, Varenicline a new drug

Treatments and drugs

Another option is Behavior therapy which is also a widely accepted and well proven method.

I hope it helps.

Press "ACCEPT" if your question has been answered,so that I can be paid for it!
Positive Feedback is always appreciated.
Please ask any follow up question freely.
If you are not satisfied with the answer,please do not click ACCEPT button and tell me so that I can REQUEST other experts here to answer it..
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The question that I really want answered is more along the lines of, "What things would you recommend to help me through this hard time!"

Im looking for a remedy to get me through this withdrawal Period! I need to focus better and release this anxiety! I dont want to go Crazy!

For the last 2 weeks I have had 0 nicotine, no Commits, no nothing!
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 8 years ago.

Vitamins are not going to be useful in any case.

Nicotine gums may be useful (usually it is a OTC product - don't know about your place).

I would recommend that you should consult a Psychiatrist / GP for your problem !